Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Truth About Working From Home

As many people have probably figured as a writer I work from home. As someone who works from home I have learned that there are a lot of misconceptions about working at home. Now as most of you know already and some have yet to learn, I am also a mother of a three year old little girl, who for privacy I will refer to her in my blogs as Miss. A. Miss A doesn't go to a daycare, in fact she is taught from home through ABCMouse.Com. Now before anyone things this is just a common gripe of me being a drama queen, I would like to point out that there are other people close to me, who experience the same thing I do and who also works from home.

I would like to start out this blog by listing some of the common misconceptions that people have about working from home:

"I wish I could work from home and stay in my pajamas and not have to do my hair or anything"

"It is easier to work from home"

"You work from home, there's no reason you can't have a clean house"

"You get more luxuries than people with regular jobs"

So those are some very common misconceptions about working from home and I have to admit, if you have said any of these things to someone who works out of the house, you should be ashamed of yourself because you are being offensive.

Working from home doesn't make my job any less important then the jobs of you people who go to work from 9-5. As far as the first misconception goes, we are still human beings and we are evolved past being common apes. Even though we work from home, we still groom ourselves on a daily basis. I may not have to wear office casual or business professional, but I still have to get dressed everyday. In fact, there are times when I have conferences on Skype, so if I didn't groom, I probably wouldn't still have a job.

As far as is being easy to work from home, please don't make me laugh. When I work from home, I deal with constant distractions and have to show more restrain. For those of you who work in an office, you have strict rules you have to follow and people who make sure your work gets done. I am on my own and do my own scheduling, and am tempted every time Maury Povich is about to reveal a baby daddy. But I have to work past the distractions to get my work done, because like everyone else, I have a quota of work that has to get done in a day or else I don't get paid.

As far as the chores and having a clean house goes, I work eight hours a day, if not more. Some of my jobs have deadlines and others I work on a strict schedule. Now as I had mentioned there are people close to me that also own their own business and work from home who can back me on this statement, for privacy sake we will call her LR. LR owns her own business where she works from home and has to leave her home to complete her job as well. Now examining both our working situations, I would like to know where everyone else gets to leave their 8 hour job to do their laundry? When LR is running professional errands, is she supposed to be late meeting with clients because she is waiting for her delicates to dry? The answer is no people. We don't have any more extra time then you do.

Finally and this one is my personal favorite.  Having more luxuries than other jobs. Now as I mentioned while I am working from home I am with Miss. A and LR is with a very special young man that we will call Doze. Now imagine being on your phone at work with a very important client who wants updates on your current project and while you are on the phone, the person in the cubical next to you throws him or herself on the ground screaming and crying over wanting the other cereal. Imagine being at your computer rushing to meet your deadline for quota when your boss drops his cup of juice all over the floor, then proceeds to step on it. Imagine being on skype for an important conference call only to have a co worker walk naked behind you. These are the luxuries that LR and I deal with everyday, working from home. Yes we get to have coffee at our desks, but so do most people at the office, yes we can wear sweatpants to work, but have you ever been to Walmart? The point is, what you call luxuries, we call reasons to get a job in an office.


So that is my rant for today and hopefully you have a new insight of how lucky you are to be working in an office and getting to interact with coworkers that are your own age and don't spend most of their time picking their nose. So before you use any of the misconceptions above to someone who works at home...think about it....they work just as hard as anyone else.

Blogging in my PJS

-Miss Information

No comments:

Post a Comment