Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Technological Child, What's The Big Deal?

Now I decided to write another children's topic since my spanking blog was such a sensation. I wanted to write a blog about the hypocritical ideas that technology is ruining our children. We live in a world where they preach that sitting a child in front of the television is bad and is going to lower their IQ, but we are beginning to develop and encourage laptops and high school online. To me this is one of the most hypocritical topics known to man that no one seems to notice because of the age gap. If technology is so bad for our kids, why are our educational systems using them?

Now I am not saying you should sit your kid in front of the television all day because children do need fresh air, but the same people that are making these claims are the ones introducing online high schools that take away fresh air and social interaction. I believe technology is great for children of all ages, depending on how you use it.

Now my daughter is three years old and knows her way around most technologies, but we are monitoring what she is doing with technology. Since I work from home, I have to keep her busy and while we do traditional things like paint and color, I also let her sit in front of the computer for hours as well. But when she is on the computer she is playing ABCmouse.com, which is an incredible learning site for children and is also responsible for my three year old knowing and identifying all of her letters and on the verge of reading on her own. I also let her play Nickjr.com where she is playing and learning her numbers and letters.

I also let my daughter watch television. We do read books and she loves to read, so the television hasn't really taken away from books. However, I believe the content that children are being sat in front of could be what the concern is. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel my IQ drop every time I watch Spongebob Square Pants and feel like I should be doing LSD in order to understand Yo Gabba Gabba. However, I have found that shows like Dora the Explorer and other shows on television are educational and helping children with their future.

Now like I said in my spanking blog that people apprently didn't get the message so I will repeat myself THIS IS MY BLOG AND MY OPINION, I APPRECIATE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT, BUT I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY PARENTING STYLE.

I know there are people out there who don't agree with what I let my daughter do and believe I should be taking the time to teach her, but the truth of the matter is the people who are making these claims have never worked from home. They either are a stay at home mom who only has to worry about housework (which there is nothing wrong with stay at home momes) and they are the ones who send their child to daycare and help them with their homework at night. Working from home is difficult and I am guilty of using technology.

However the whole point in this blog is to understand what is the big deal? As long as the technology is educational how does it harm a child in preparing them for kindergarten? If it is so bad, why are they offering it as educational alternatives?

Keeping it technical

-Miss Information

No comments:

Post a Comment