Monday, August 5, 2013

The Single Mom & The Non-Single Mom

This is probably going to be one of the most controversial blogs I am ever going to do, but this is something that really grinds my gears. Every mother's day and father's day that comes and goes, I always see postings about how single moms deserve additional credit for doing all of the work, and I have to say, I don't think single mom's deserve any more credit then a regular mom does.

I give single mothers all the credit in the world and some of the best mother's I know are single moms who play the role of both mom and dad. However, most single parents are never alone and often get assistance in raising their kids from other relatives. So they can never say they go at it completely alone.

Now granted, single mothers have to do work because they don't have a counterpart to share the responsibility load, but does that make them a better mother than me? I don't think so. Being a mother who is still connected or married to the father of their children has just as much work as a single mother. Being a mother (and lets face it, fathers aren't always as helpful as one may think) is hard in general. But keeping a relationship alive with multiple children is no easy task. Giving up on relationships is easy, but creating children, being a mom, and still trying to look beautiful and be there for the same man every day takes hard work and commitment.

Now, I don't want anyone to think I am not saying that single mothers don't deserve their credit(So haters, take your sear) because they are still a mother...Some of the finest ladies I know are single parents and they don't even ask for additional credit for being one. I have to say I have met single mothers who bounce from baby daddy to baby daddy just to collect a check to buy more stuff for herself, does that make her a better mother than a married mother who hasn't showered in three days and is still wearing the same bra that has more holes than a game of golf? On the other hand I have met married women who neglect their children and spend majority of their time on their cellphones, does that make them a better mother than the single mom who works 3 jobs and never misses a goodnight kiss?

There are better mothers than others, but those mothers have nothing to do with a relationship status. Good mothers deserve props if they do it on their own or if they have a partner to help them through...but being a single mother doesn't deserve additional recognition from just being a single mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment